Dr. Savita Ben Ambedkar Inter-caste marriage scheme

About The Dr. Savita Ben Ambedkar Inter-Caste Marriage Scheme is a program by the Rajasthan government

The Dr. Savita Ben Ambedkar Inter-Caste Marriage Scheme is a program by the Rajasthan government that financially incentivizes couples to marry outside their caste. Here’s a breakdown of the scheme:

  • Objective: Promote inter-caste marriages to weaken the caste system.
  • Incentive under Dr. Savita Ben Ambedkar Inter-caste marriage scheme
    • ₹10 lakh (increased in 2023-24 budget) disbursed as follows:
    • ₹5 lakh fixed deposit for eight years.
    • ₹5 lakh deposited in a joint bank account of the couple.
  • Eligibility for Dr. Savita Ben Ambedkar’s Inter-caste marriage scheme 
    • Both bride and groom must be Hindu.
    • No polygamy allowed.
    • Age limit of 35 years (reduced incentive for older couples).
  • Application: The process can be done online or through E-Mitra centers.

This scheme was launched in 2006 and has been progressively enhanced by increasing the incentive amount. It is named after Dr. Savita Ambedkar, wife of Dr. B. R. Ambedkar, a champion for social equality in India.

Some Important Points

  • At a time when inter-cast and inter-faith marriages are increasingly becoming controversial and even dangerous, the Rajasthan government has announced to make such alliances more popular.
  • The Rajasthan government has announced that it will be doubling the incentive for InterCast marriages.
  • According to the government, effective immediately, interest couples tying the knot will receive Rs.10 lakhs, up from the previous incentive of Rs.5 lakhs.
  • Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot recently announced this in the 2023-2024 budgets.
  • Under the revised Dr. Savita ben Ambedkar inter-cast marriage Scheme, Rs.5 lakhs will be put in a fixed deposit for eight years, while the remaining Rs.5 lakhs will be deposited in a joint bank account for the newlyweds.
  • The scheme, launched in 2006, initially provided Rs.50000, which was later increased to Rs.5 lakhs in April 2013.
  • The central government and state government jointly fund the scheme, with was latter contributing 75 percent and the Centre covering the remaining 25 percent.
  • As per the scheme, InterCast marriage would be allowed only up to 35 years of age. The couple would be entitled to only half of the incentive money.
  • The rest of the amount would be kept as deposited in a joint account in a national bank and claimed only after eight years of marriage.
  • Under this scheme, the bride and groom should be Hindus, ensuring that no polygamy is involved.
  • The couple can claim the amount within one year of marriage registration.
  • Either the boy or girl should belong to a separate caste.
  • Not have been convicted.
  • Not have been convicted in any criminal case.
  • The combined income of the couple should not exceed Rs.2.5 lakhs per annum.
  • The benefits under the scheme will be payable if the application is received within a year from the date of marriage (first marriage only).
  • The Special Marriage Act, of 1954 is an Indian law that provides a legal framework for the marriage of people belonging to different religions or casts.
  • That governed a civil marriage where the state sanctions the marriage.

Objection to marriage

  • the main issue with the Special Marriage Act is the provision for objections to be raised against marriage. This can often be used to harass consenting couples and delay or prevent their marriage from taking place. Inter-cast or inter-religious marriage is still not widely accepted in many parts of India, and couples who choose to get married under the Special Marriage Act, of 1954 may face social stigma and discrimination from their families and communities.
  • Many people in India are not aware of the provision of the Special Marriage Act or may not know that they have the option to marry someone from a different religion or caste under this law. The government could work to raise awareness about this law and its benefits, especially in rural areas where awareness is the law.
  • The supreme court in safin jahan v/s Ashok KM 2018, has upheld the right to marry a person of one’s choice as a part of article 21 of the Indian constitution.

Share this Post

Leave a Comment